You’re not alone. One of the biggest challenges any ecommerce vendor faces, is knowing which high-demand products are most likely to increase their revenue. Trends can change quickly in the online landscape, and failure to keep up could mean you miss out on huge opportunities for growth.
Fortunately, we’re here to help. We’ve researched the current ecommerce landscape, and pinpointed some of the best-selling most lucrative products for today’s online store owners.
Here’s your guide to 20 of the most popular products you should consider selling on your ecommerce store.
The 20 Best Products to Sell Online Right Now
Notably, this list consists of a number of different types of products, which may not be suitable for all store owners. It’s worth making sure the items you choose for your online store resonate with your specific target audience before you dive in.
Try Shopify with $1 per month for the first 3 months!
Shopify has begun offering a special deal for sellers who sign up for a new Shopify plan. That deal? Pay Shopify $1/month for the first 3 months of full access to the platform!
This offer is is now available on all standard plans: Starter, Basic, Shopify, and Advanced.
» Start your free trial here «
To help you get the most out of your new portfolio, we’re also going to share some quick marketing tips to increase traffic for your store. That being said, let’s explore some of our top picks for the best ecommerce items to sell online in 2023.
Demand for consumer electronics may not be particularly “new”, but it’s continuing to grow in 2023. The tech industry is evolving at an incredible pace, and everyone wants to be connected with the latest laptops, smartwatches, laptops, and gadgets.
By 2030, the market for consumer electronics is expected to reach a value of $1063.39 billion, making this market an excellent choice for tech-focused brands. You can even consider working with dropshipping and wholesale companies, to keep your costs low.
- Use video: It can be difficult to showcase all of the unique benefits of a laptop or smartphone in a simple product description. With video, you can provide a behind-the-scenes insight into everything a device can do, making it easier to drive conversions.
- Educate customers: Share how-to videos, guides, and comparisons to help your customers make the right decision. Electronics can be expensive, so customers may need to spend more time researching before they make a purchasing decision.
Fashion and Apparel
The market for fashion has always been pretty strong, but opportunities for ecommerce vendors have grown significantly in recent years, with the rise of print on demand. These days, you don’t need your own production house or manufacturing facility to create amazing garments.
With print on demand, you can create custom products instantly, outsource logistics and fulfilment to a third party, and keep risk levels low. In fact, the POD market is currently growing at a massive rate of 27.8% CAGR. There’s virtually no limit to what you can create, from shoes and t-shirts, to accessories, tote bags, leggings and more.
- Work with influencers: Influencers are one of the best tools for any fashion company. They’re excellent for drawing attention to your products across a range of channels, and can help you build trust with your specific target audience.
- Social media: Take advantage of visual social media channels, such as Instagram, Pinterest, and even TikTok. This will help you to showcase your fashion items in action, and capture more attention from your audience.
Beauty and Skincare Products
Beauty and personal care have long been effective markets for ecommerce retailers. In 2023, the market for beauty products reached a value of $579.20 billion, and it continues to grow. The key to success in this market is finding ways to differentiate your products based on customer values.
Today’s consumers are looking for versatility, as well as eco-friendly, ethical products. Vegan skincare products, makeup that doesn’t require animal testing, and similar items are likely to do well.
- Share User generated content: Few things are more effective in the beauty industry than UGC. Share testimonials and reviews from other customers. Highlight pictures of customers using your products on social media, and earn customer trust.
- Showcase your USP: Make sure your unique selling point stands out. Focus on creating products that resonate with your customer’s values regarding sustainability, eco-friendly production, and ethics.
Home and Kitchen Goods
While home and kitchen products have been popular among ecommerce business owners for some time, they’ve grown increasingly valuable in recent years. The pandemic forced a lot of people to spend more time in their homes, leading to an increase in the purchase of home accessories.
Depending on your potential customers, you can experiment with everything from canvas prints for decoration, to kitchen gadgets, home décor, and household essentials. You could even consider selling custom decorations on channels like Etsy.
- Match the trends: Pay attention to interior décor trends when launching new products on your website. Extensive market research will give you a better insight into the kind of items your customers want to buy, and what appeals to different demographics.
- Make it unique: With print on demand and dropshipping companies, you can add your own spin to various types of home décor. POD solutions even allow you to create your own canvas prints, throw pillows, and blankets for sale.
Fitness and Wellness Products
The fitness and wellness industry is another environment that’s seen a massive boost since the pandemic. By 2031, the health and wellness market alone is expected to reach a value of $12.9 trillion, as people continue to invest in self-care.
There are a few different avenues to explore in this landscape. You could consider focusing on fitness, with exercise equipment and sportswear. Or you could look into things like vitamins and supplements.
- Focus on high-quality products: Make sure you’re producing products your customers can rely on, with high-quality manufactures. Don’t run the risk of negative reviews.
- Show testimonials: Highlight reviews and testimonials on your website as well as statements from industry professionals to prove your credibility.
Personalized and Custom Products
Another major trend this year, is the desire for unique, custom products. With an influx of companies selling the same or similar dropshipping products online, customers are searching for something a little different. As such, the market for personalized items and gifts is growing at a rate of around 7.85% CAGR.
Fortunately, the print-on-demand market means companies can customize just about any great product with everything from pictures, to text. You can create personalized gifts, apparel, and unique accessories for your target market, all for a low initial cost.
- Find the right print on demand vendor: Choose a vendor with a range of profitable products to choose from, such as water bottles, t-shirts and more.
- Be transparent with customers: Make sure your customers know personalized products may take slightly longer to make and deliver than standard items.
Even in an uncertain economy, most consumers will continue to spend money on their pets. Research even shows that two thirds of pet owners spend more on their animals than themselves. If you’re looking for business ideas for your own online store, pet items could be a great choice.
You can experiment with everything from custom-made pet food, to toys, and accessories like leads, bowls, and even dog or cat beds.
- Try content marketing: SEO and content marketing can help you attract more customers to your ecommerce website, and educate your audience with thought leadership pieces.
- Choose the right products: Do your research and make sure the pet products you choose are safe, and adhere to your customer’s values.
Home Improvement and DIY
Just as demand for home accessories has increased since the pandemic, so has the number of people looking to make repairs to their home without professional help. With lower budgets to work with, consumers are working on becoming self-sufficient, but they need the right tools.
The DIY landscape can offer a profitable niche to business owners, with options to explore everything from tools and home improvement supplies, to DIY kits.
- Master product descriptions: Make sure you tell your customers as much as you can about the products you sell, and how they work, to accelerate decision making.
- Provide educational content: Show customers how to use your products with articles, infographics, and videos.
Outdoor and Adventure Gear
The market for outdoor equipment has grown significantly over the last couple of years. People are looking for more ways to enjoy the wonders of nature, whether that means camping with family members, or hiking through beautiful woodland trails.
You can sell all kinds of products in this niche, from specialist hiking shoes and backpacks, to tents and portable showers.
- Be a storyteller: Share narratives with your target audience that can help them to visualize using your equipment to enjoy and explore the world around them. User-generated content can be particularly useful here.
- Educate your customers: Educational content, such as step-by-step how-to guides, can be extremely useful in teaching your customers how to use your products effectively.
With issues like global warming and pollution becoming more prominent, many consumers are specifically searching for more eco-friendly products. One study found 60% of respondents said they would pay more for a product with sustainable packaging alone.
There are plenty of ways to get started with selling eco-friendly products today. You could sell reusable water bottles and tumblers, sustainable fashion with POD vendors, or biodegradable goods.
- Show your ethics: The best way to connect with customers when selling eco-friendly products is to show your commitment to sustainability. Explain how you protect the planet by sourcing the right supplies and partners.
- Be authentic: Never try to “green wash” your products or suggest they’re sustainable when they’re not. Your customers will find out, and it could damage your future sales.
Toys and Games
Meaningful family moments are something virtually every consumer is searching for right now. Parents are looking for opportunities to spend more time with their kids, playing with board games, and educational games. Plus, trending toys are always an excellent way to capture the attention of families and younger audiences.
With dropshipping suppliers, selling toys and games can be a relatively cost effective way to grow your business, with minimal upfront investment.
- Follow the trends: Explore Google trends and online marketplaces for insights into product ideas in this niche. Remember trends among children are constantly changing.
- Be child friendly: Match your website design and tone of voice to the needs of a younger audience. This will help you to appeal to a wider range of families.
Books and Ebooks
While there endless forms of entertainment available in the world today, countless people still love reading. This is particularly true in the educational sector, where people are searching for ways to build their knowledge outside of online courses and webinars.
You can experiment with books and eBooks covering a range of different topics. Plus, with ebooks, there are no production or shipping costs to worry about, keeping your profit margin high.
- Be educational: As mentioned above, educational books are particularly popular right now, as people look for new ways to expand their skills. Don’t just focus on fiction novels.
- Choose the right ecommerce platform: Make sure your ecommerce platform (such as Shopify or Squarespace) can support digital products and downloads.
Arts and Crafts
The market for arts and crafts is expected to reach around $70,234.67 million by 2027. People love exploring new hobbies, so there’s plenty of money to be made selling things like pens, canvases, paint brushes, and even kits for pottery.
You can also sell across a variety of channels, using not just your own online store, but platforms like Etsy, Amazon, and Ebay.
- Use video: The chances are your customers are going to need guidance to help them use your arts and crafts products. Consider producing videos that offer step-by-step guides and answer any common questions customers might have.
- Experiment with kits: All-in-one kits that give customers everything they need to get started on a project can be fantastic for appealing to beginners in the arts and crafts space.
Baby and Maternity Products
The baby and maternity market is one of the most reliable in the ecommerce world, as customers will always want high-quality products to help them care for their families. The maternity wear market alone should be worth around $24.6 million by 2031.
If you want to get started in the mother and baby niche, you can check out options like baby care items, maternity clothing, and nursery essentials.
- Stand out with unique features: Set your products apart from the competition with unique elements. Consider creating sustainable or eco-friendly clothing, or look into baby care products made with organic and natural materials.
- Offer personalization: Consumers love having an opportunity to customize the items they buy for nurseries and children. Work with a POD vendor to offer personalization options.
Smart Home Devices
The smart home market is blossoming, growing at a rate of 20.1% to a projected value of $338.28 billion by 2030. The evolution of the internet of things, and the number of vendors producing more affordable products like smart cameras and coffee machines is driving this trend.
There are plenty of ways for online business owners to dive into this landscape with smart speakers, bulbs, security systems, and thermostats.
- Prioritize ease of use: Make sure the products you sell are easy for customers to set up and use. Not everyone has technical skills. Provide step by step guidance on how each item works, and how it can be connected to the internet.
- Remember security: Keep in mind that many customers are still concerned about how smart devices use their data. Showcasing a commitment to security could boost your sales.
Another rapidly growing market this year revolves around subscription boxes. Studies show this landscape will reach a value of around $74.2 billion by 2028. The best way to make the most out of this environment is to make sure you’re selling niche products to a specific audience.
Think about what kind of curated experiences your customers will want based on their hobbies and interests, such as beauty, fashion, and books.
- Use the right tools: Make sure you’re using apps or ecommerce platforms that allow you to support the subscription business model. Not all platforms are subscription friendly.
- Offer deals: Give customers the option to “subscribe and save” to increase your average revenue and customer lifetime value. The better the deal your customers think they’re getting, the more online sales you’ll make.
Though the travel market certainly saw a dip during the pandemic, is beginning it’s resurgence in 2023. Customers are keen to start exploring the world again now that it’s possible to do so.
Even small business owners can make a significant profit selling a variety of luggage items, portable charges, travel organizers, and similar tools. Plus, these niche products are relatively easy to promote using a variety of methods.
- Work with influencers: Travel influencers have a big presence across virtually all social media platforms. For entrepreneurs, working with influencers can be an excellent way to draw attention to your various product categories.
- Know the rules and regulations: Make sure your luggage and accessories adhere to the rules set by travel authorities. Do your research into each geography before sourcing a new product.
Accessories for Mobile Devices
The world has grown increasingly mobile focused in recent years. Currently, the market for accessories is growing at a rate of 6.8% CAGR. It also offers business leaders a great way to get started in the technology market with minimal upfront investment.
You can explore options like screen protectors, phone cases with custom designs (using print on demand) and even chargers or wireless earbuds.
- Offer customization: Offering customers the option to customize their own phone cases is a great way to increase online sales. You can work with print on demand vendors to provide niche products in a range of designs.
- Cover a range of models: Remember to offer solutions for different phone models and manufacturers. Don’t just focus on iPhones, think about all of the most popular vendors.
Tech Gadgets for Home and Office
Just as consumers are looking for more phone accessories across various sales channels, they’re also searching for gadgets that can make their lives easier at home. Wireless chargers are particularly popular today, alongside office-based products.
With more customers working from home than ever before, you can make a decent income selling ergonomic accessories for offices, and productivity tools.
- Use an educational marketing strategy: Use content marketing and search engine optimized blogs to show customers how to use your products effectively and position yourself as a thought leader in your industry.
- Focus on professionals: Creating products for the customers now working in the remote and hybrid landscape could be a great way to boost your sales.
DIY Electronics and Kits
Finally, you may have noticed the huge number of companies selling unique kits for people interested in the electronic and technology landscape these days. STEM toys are extremely popular among parents who want to help their youngsters develop new skills.
You can also look into DIY radio kits, or tools that allow customers to make their own miniature robots and similar creations.
- Use paid ads: Showcasing products with Google Ads and similar PPC campaigns can help to generate rapid sales for your online store.
- Provide how to guides: Make sure you’re creating videos that show your customers how to use your templates, kits, and other products.
Choosing the Best Products for Your Online Store
Interest in online shopping is continuing to rise at an incredible rate. Today’s consumers are looking for everything from handmade products on Etsy, to low-price gadgets on Facebook marketplace, and storefront platforms like Walmart.
The right products for your own website will depend on a number of factors, from your business model, to your target audience. However, all of the items above are generating significant interest in the modern market, promising excellent opportunities for growth.
What’s more, with dropshipping platforms like AliExpress and POD companies available, the risk of experimenting with new products is lower than ever before. Good luck finding the products that drive revenue and profit for your business in 2023.
TweetShare on FacebookSubmit to redditAdd to bufferSave to pocketShare on LinkedInEmail
In 2023, some of the popular products to sell online include video games, video game accessories, smartphone accessories, pet products, fashion accessories, fitness products, maternity wear, subscription boxes, digital products (e-books, online courses), skincare products, shapewear, LEGOs, custom jewelry, power tool ...What to resell 2023? ›
In 2023, the most popular niches are health and beauty products, mobile accessories, jewelry and pet products. Do your research to hone in on which specific products can maximize your profits.What is the most sold item in the world? ›
What Is The Most Sold Item In the World? The most sold item in the world is clothing and fashion items. This ranges from women's and men's outfits to children's clothing, shoes, accessories, and more. People love their clothes, and fashion isn't going anywhere!What products sell more online? ›
Wireless and bluetooth devices are becoming more and more popular. Even so, cables are still one of the best trending products for online stores to sell. They have a consistent level of interest year round and come in a lot of different types. Plus, they're essential these days.What's the most bought product? ›
The fashion industry produces the most sold product in the world: clothing and accessories. This trillion-dollar industry has a wide range of products such as shoes, accessories, clothing, jewelry, etc. that appeal to types of people.What products do people want 2023? ›
- Lip stain.
- Power tool accessories.
- Dog toys.
- Shot glasses.
- Costume shoes.
- Wall plates and covers.
- LED Submersible Lights.
- Scented Candles.
- Portable Projector.
- Bluetooth Speaker.
- Smart Watch.
- Temporary Tattoos.
- Submersible Lights. Submersible lights - Image Credit: Amazon. ...
- Phone Lenses. Phone lenses - Image Credit: Amazon UK. ...
- Portable Projector. ...
- Baby Care Products. ...
- Personal Care and Beauty. ...
- Kitchen Appliances. ...
- Home Decor Products. ...
- Pet Products.
- Shapewear. Shapewear is a popular niche product category of clothing that helps people to look their best. ...
- LEGOs. LEGOs are a popular toy for both children and adults. ...
- Custom Jewelry. ...
- Power Tool Accessories. ...
- Baby Clothes. ...
- Tumblers. ...
- Model Train Sets. ...
- Can Opener.
- First Aid.
- Dietary Supplements. ...
- Activewear and Fitness Equipment. ...
- Phone Accessories. ...
- Pet Food and Pet Products. ...
- Children's Toys. ...
- Hygiene Products. ...
- Fashion Accessories. ...
- Home Decor and Home Goods.
If popular opinion is any guide, the remaining months of 2023 may still be a good time to sell despite the evolving market. According to Fannie Mae's most recent Home Purchase Sentiment Index, 66 percent of respondents feel it is a good time to sell.What is the most trendy thing in 2023? ›
- Skirt Suits But Make it Fashion. Marine Serre Oriental Towels boxy tailored jacket. ...
- Everyday Preciousness. ...
- Extra Baggage. ...
- Perfectly Imperfect. ...
- Short n Sweet Jackets. ...
- Buttoned Up Shirting. ...
- Modern Boho. ...
- Blazers Become Cinched.
- Handmade Jewelry. Handmade jewelry is the perfect way to launch your e-commerce business and make a career out of selling unique, beautiful pieces. ...
- Crafts & Supplies. ...
- Notebooks & Journals. ...
- Printables. ...
- Wedding & Party Supplies. ...
- Homemade Bath & Beauty Products. ...
- Zero-Waste Products. ...